Calixto Garcia Park (Old Barrack Square)
Calixto Garcia Park was the second public square of Holguin City, also created in 1720, so that it was used in the celebrations, fairs and markets. When in 1878 the Municipal Government located at the present time in the well-known building as La Periquera, it acquired such importance that passed to be the fundamental one becoming the center for the trade and the culture.
Calixto Garcia Park traced in 1719 - 1720, it was the Barrack Square of Holguin City. In 1839 it’s became it in Boulevard of Isabel II, and already in 1898 it was named Calixto Garcia Iñiguez Park, like it arrives until our days.
Abril 10 of 1916, it’s erected and laid the statue of Major General Calixto Garcia in the center of the Park. Initially the housings and trade surrounded the square, today the trades and cultural institutions preserve the Park, constituting an eminently cultural square.
Here they are the Holguin Provincial Museum La Periquera, National Monument; Ballado Gallery, of the Benefit Fund of Cuban Cultural; the Martí Cinema, Municipal Arts Centre, the Trova House, the Provincial Library Alex Urquiola, the Provincial Center of the Plastic arts with its expositive rooms; the theater Guiñol.
The noted Musical Theater Rodrigo Prats, the Suñol Theater, the play room of the co-dance Company and Pedro Rojena bookstore, among other valuable institutions of the culture of Holguin, and its area of trade