Calixto Garcia Museum-House
Calixto Garcia Museum-House, it was the residence where Calixto Garcia was born, the famous patriot of Holguin City, member of the Liberator Army of Cuba, and officer in command of the Oriental part of Cuba in the 30 years that independence war (1868 - 1898) lasted.
A main wooden part, next to another secondary and two toward both sides, with tiles in its cover, and an extensive wall around the interior patio constitutes it Calixto Garcia Museum-House in Holguin.
In April 2 of 1835, one month after the marriage of the Cuban born in Holguin Lucía Iñiguez Landín, and Venezuelan Ramón García González, this bought, next to his brother Agustín, to the gentleman stage manager Luis Proenza to a price of 195 pesos, the property located in the San Diego street corner of Rosario, to few meters of the Barrack Square of Holguin City.
One year later, when Calixto Garcia Museum-House was a House-trade, it was sold to his brother Santiago for 2 thousand pesos who a time later gave it to the businessman José Manuel Aramendi for 4 thousand pesos, for later to acquire it again.
The 4th August of 1839 were born the future Lieutenant General of the Cuban Liberator Army, in the large house half housing and half trade, today Calixto Garcia Museum-House, amid uncles and cousins. He only lived there for a few years because he moved to Jiguaní, where he lived until his 14 years old.
Spanish Don Calixto García de Luna Hernández, grandfather of the Holguin’s hero and of who takes his name, bought the big house the 28th November of 1843, of which he was proprietor until his death in 1848.
Nobody knows how they could be divided the today Calixto Garcia Museum-House; however they were his heirs Santiago García González, his siblings José Agustín, Josefa, Rosa and Ramón, father of General Calixto Garcia; Doña María de los Ángeles González, wife of departed; Francisco Frexes, manager, and Joaquina Aguilera who attended him until the death.
In 1849 Francisco Frexes, offered the unification of the whole property Calixto Garcia Museum-House left by Don Calixto, issue that achieved in 1860. this way he obtained the back lands of the building until the Santiago street, today Morales Lemus, including, also, the whole front of the Rosario street, current Frexes.
Between 1861 and 1880, Calixto Garcia Museum-House it was built of masonry. This also contained a commercial entity well-known as Noah's Ark.
Frexes died in June of 1885. His heirs, although they didn't do anything with the store, they carried out some architectural and constructive modifications in Calixto Garcia Museum-House.
In the first Republic, that meant the change of a Spanish King for an American President, Calixto Garcia Museum-House was divided in diverse establishments, among those an office of lawyers.
It was not up to 1924 when the Municipal Mayoralty agreed to place a commemorative tally to the Calixto Garcia Museum-House, the one that is still in its facade.
With the arrival of the revolutionary power the included store inside Calixto Garcia Museum-House was nationalized.
In the other part of the local, for initiative of the Section of Activists of History of Holguin, it opened up in 1974 the first exhibition room like part of Calixto Garcia Museum-House.
October 10 of 1978 Calixto Garcia Museum-House, National Monument of Cuba was declared, for the National Commission of Monuments; declaration proclaimed formally two months and one day later, in commemoration of the 80 anniversary of the death of the Patriot of Holguin.
December 29 of 1979 die the old owner of the trade that had been as tenant of the back-room. That year Calixto Garcia Museum-House is renovated and in January 18 of 1986, it is restored completely.
In 1983 the trade in Calixto Garcia Museum-House disappeared, what facilitated the opening of the Information Center, specialized in Wars of Independence of Cuba and that stores the relative documentation to this stage with a wide and valuable bibliography that already has several years of edition. There it can be found biographies, monographs, tests and political files of important personalities. It has, also, an excellent newspaper archive with publications of the topic in several goods.
In December of 1998, in remembrance for the Centennial of the death of General Calixto Garcia, it was added to the Calixto Garcia Museum-House a part of the property belonging to the Mariño’s family, which facilitated the amplification of the rooms of permanent exhibition.
Calixto Garcia Museum-House in Holguin it is place of forced visit for all Cuban. To travel its spaces is to meet with the past of a man that was consequent with his time.