La Periquera, Museo Provincial de Historia
La Periquera, old residence of Spanish Don Francisco Rondán, built in Holguin City, it was during more than one century The Government House in the county of Holguin, bound up at the rate of the years to historical and cultural outstanding events during the colony and the firsts 59 years of the Republic.
For the town of Holguin, and of Cuba totally, La Periquera is a worshipped place. It is considered the most important scenario in Holguin City.
There are several versions about the name that adopted the home of peninsular Rondán, but the most believable it is related with the war of independence of Cuba.
During the attack of the mambises of the Liberator Army in October 30 of 1868 to the warehouse of Rondán in Holguin, most of the defenders was volunteer in the service of Spain, where the insurrectionists of Cuba saw lean out to some that another Spanish soldier of the colony for the windows of the impressive family structure.
With humor that characterizes the Cubans, still in the moments of more drama, one of the liberators screamed: Leave the cage, parakeets!, in allusion to the strong coloring of the Spanish uniforms that they highlighted the colors of the Spanish flag. This way the property, until today, it is known as La Periquera (Parakeet Cage).
Periquera, located in the street Frexes, between Freedom and Maceo street, in front of the old Barrack Square in Holguin -also known for a while as Square of Isabel II, and at the present time Calixto Garcia Park-, after the mambí attack to Holguin where the property of Rondán suffered dozens of impacts of canyon projectile, its proprietor claimed the Spanish government the losses inflicted to his home in about 12 thousand pesos in gold. Then he moved on to the municipality of Gibara.
The Hispanic authorities reconstructed the damages caused to La Periquera and they rented the old proprietor's children the left part of the property for Government House. In its living rooms of style neoclassicist, its architectural values in general and its central location, they transformed La Periquera into forced place of events and meetings for more than one century.
After the declaration of the Republic, in La Periquera it was hoisted the Flag in 1902. In 1936 the campaign of Demajagua (beginning of the independence’s war) was honored and it paid tribute to Pepe Torres, Remigio Marrero and Panchito Frexes, illustrious people from Holguin, members of the Liberator Army of Cuba.
The large number of locals of La Periquera was good for trade and other institutions like cinemas in the ground floor, and in the top floor, chess school, public library, ballet, elementary education, and living room for exhibitions.
At the present time, the replica of one of the doorknockers of the access door to La Periquera is symbol of the city of Holguin.
For its location, in downtown of Holguin, front La Periquera student and worker manifestations of protest paraded for the outrages of the pseudo republican time. This building has always been joining together to the fights in Cuba for the national independence.
The 10th October of 1978, in coincidence with the date in that the war of independence of Cuba was declared in 1868 captained by Carlos Manuel de Cespedes, this historical enclosure La Periquera was declared National Monument of Cuba and Provincial Museum of Holguin.